To ensure the safety of young children in general sessions we apply rules about how they should be accompanied, depending on age. These rules are very similar to those imposed by other pools in the area, and any differences are due to our assessment of the conditions in our particular pool. Such things as depth, and the type of public our sessions attract come into consideration.
The rules are:
- Children under 8 years old must be accompanied in the water by an adult (16 or over) who maintains a constant watch over them.
- Children from 4 and above may be accompanied on a 2 children to 1 adult basis,
- Children 0 to 3 must be accompanied on a 1 adult to 1 child basis.
Nappies: Children who are not FULLY out of nappies MUST wear swim nappies. (if the pool is contaminated by faeces we could have to shut it for 24 hours or more)
Under special circumstances, such as family sessions, private parties and parent and toddler sessions these rules are relaxed slightly, because of the different mix of adults and type of swimming behaviour expected. However, these relaxations are always subject to the lifeguard’s discretion at the time.
These relaxed rules are:
- Children from 4 and above may be accompanied on a 4 children to 1 adult basis,
- Children 0 to 3 may be accompanied on a 1 adult to 2 children basis.
- Mixed age group 1 adult to 3 children basis.